Labels

Sunday, June 04, 2006

But was there a need to say?

But you never said,
that you loved me, yes, you never
you never said, you loved me.

But was there a need to say?

Did words matter, when in soft embrace,
your warm breath was like percussion
that held me in its subtle sway?

We saw the moon stuck in tree branches
We saw the moon like dew, evaporate, while the
sun sailed through the days of fatigued longing.

We saw the moon was a jealous loner.
We let him be moody and patchy
and we giggled at the mist of those metaphors.

We were like children, loud, boisterous
till innocence was drenched one evening.
A form filled my thoughts and
you saw us become complicated and old.

Weeks it took, for flood to fill
your hands with the temptation they
traced so tantalizingly on my chest.

We felt so free
and full of lust.

I figured kiss was more than a word.

Your breath meandered into beats.
My blood parched my brain, swelled my heart.

In vacations, we kept the windows open
lights shut, mouths shut,
snow clogged our paths to each other.

One summer evening, we parted on those steps
phone calls became our umbilical cord,
so many words that minutes lost
the count of sounds they heard.

Whenever we met, your odor
like cocaine, exhilerated my senses.

We were always so close.
Our worlds were one, even when
we lived hundreds of miles apart.

I still remember the name of every freckle
that I had christened on your skin, and what
animals arose on connecting them.

Your eyes still show me how
my hair need combing, how to
match this shirt with that trouser.

For six years, I worshipped you
For six years, you stood like a Hindu goddess
in stone, smiling, and your raised right hand
suggesting my future joys were blessed.

But you never said
that you loved me, yes, you never said
you never said, you loved me.

But was there a need to say?

Would it have mattered?

29 March, 2006
Starbucks; Atlanta, GA

Wrote it immediately after writing Pearl earrings (http://viveksharmaiitd.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_viveksharmaiitd_archive.html)

1 comment:

Vivek Sharma said...

From Dud Sea Scrawls:

Sigh…sometimes life just
By atrakasya on Sun, 2006-06-04 14:45

Sigh…sometimes life just tears one’s entrails out…

An entire world that lives within oneself suddenly becomes empty and then, years later, when we look, we find the ruins which remind us of the magic of that forgotten world.

Maybe only new worlds can reduce the sorrow of lost yester-worlds…
» login or register to post comments | email this comment


Love is a burning thing
By Vivek on Mon, 2006-06-05 14:25

But Atra your comment was like an intense sigh:)

I need to rewrite this poem, and ever since I wrote it, I have thought of it as incomplete. Don’t know what all to fix though!
» login or register to post comments | email this comment


.
By La Louve on Tue, 2006-06-06 14:36

aie vivek Sad Interesting poem… words sometimes do mean a lot too dont they
» login or register to post comments | email this comment

Life
By kculon on Wed, 2006-06-07 10:35

is full of so many complicated emotions, which really mean?

nice poem
» login or register to post comments | email this comment