Labels

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Vikram Seth's All you who sleep tonight and more!

All you who sleep tonight
Far from the ones you love,
No hand to left or right
And emptiness above -

Know that you aren't alone
The whole world shares your tears,
Some for two nights or one,
And some for all their years.
---Vikram Seth

Vikram Seth is one of my favorite authors. I have read almost everything he has published, and found all his writings masterpieces of his remarkable ability as a poet, storyteller, and as a person who understands and decribes pain and passion really, really well. You may look at the list of his books at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/O3SH7Z2REQLJ/104-1868278-9044732! As you might gather, "All you who sleep tonight" is a wonderful verse! It is also the title of a collection of poems.

Here are a few others that I shamelessly copied from some websites. The best link about every post-colonial Indian author including Seth is http://www.english.emory.edu/Bahri/Seth.html!

Best book: The Golden Gate: if you have not read it yet, find a copy now!


Condition
I have to speak - I must ! - I should - I ought . . .
I'd tell you how I love you if I thought
The world would end tomorrow afternoon.
But short of that . . . we'll it might be too soon.


Prandial Plaint
My love , I love your breasts, I love your nose
I love your accent and I love your toes
I'm your slave. One word and I obey
But please don't slurp your coffee in that way.


Sit

Sit, drink your coffee here; your work can wait awhile.
You're twenty-six, and still have some life ahead.
No need for wit; just talk vacuities, and I'll
Reciprocate in kind, or laugh at you instead.

The world is too opaque, distressing and profound.
This twenty minutes' rendezvous will make my day:
To sit here in the sun, with grackles all around,
Staring with beady eyes, and you two feet away.

Catch more poems at
http://members.tripod.com/~SundeepDougal/vikram.html

No comments: